Electrical shocks on the jobsite do happen from time to time, especially to electricians. These injuries are almost avoidable if proper precautions are taken and safety protocols are put in places. Electricity travels in closed circuits through a conductor.
A person gets shocked when the human body comes in contact with one wire of an energized circuit or with both wires of an electric circuit, among other ways. Electricity streams through parts of the body to the ground or earth.
ELECTRICAL SHOCK LAWS
When skin is moist or wet, the skin will be like a conductor, which is why electric shocks so often happen when there is rain or water present. When someone is shocked, the damages can be horrific or minor in nature. The electricity may only feel like a tingling running through one’s limbs or it could lead to the person having a heart attack and being killed instantly. The results depend in large part on how much electricity runs through the body.
When people are harmed from an electric shock, there are three likely reasons.
- First, there are unsafe work practices.
- Second, the environment is not safe.
- Third, the equipment being used at the jobsite or the installation job was not done properly. Many times there are problems with insulation or guarding or electrical protective devices.
Fortunately, most electrical shock accidents can be prevented entirely, including but not limited to using the proper protective equipment, be very careful around energized liens, properly maintaining tools, and making sure to properly inspect and repair electrical equipment.